AGE UK Birmingham
We have an exciting opportunity for an organised and experienced Befriending Officer to join an organisation making a real difference in people’s lives.
Position: Befriending Officer
Hours: Full-time, 37 hours per week
Salary: £23,571 per annum + benefits
Benefits: Pension and healthcare scheme benefits.
Closing Date: 15th December 2023 – please note – the organisation will be interviewing candidates as they apply, so early applications are recommended.
About the Role
Your role will be to support and strengthen existing befriending services, through the befriending forum.
You will also establish and deliver engaging new friendship groups, maximising reach, and accessibility across the city. You will be working with the groups to support them to become self-led, independent, and sustainable.
You will work on a one-to-one basis with older adults to assess wellbeing, increase social activity and signpost to other services as required. You will support and oversee volunteers providing telephone befriending to housebound older people.
Key responsibilities of the Befriending Reconnector will include:
* To identify and map existing befriending services and gaps across the city.
* To support the ACB Service Manager in establishing and operating a Befriending Forum, supporting existing befriending services to maintain and strengthen their befriending offer.
* To establish new friendship groups where there is an unmet need, with the aim of them becoming independent and self-led.
* To risk assess working environments as appropriate in line with Health & Safety policies and procedures.
* To make referrals/signpost to other appropriate agencies and organisations for specialist support based on the individual needs and circumstances.
* To work with the ACB Manager to develop and deliver workshops to strengthen befriending services.
* To maintain accurate and confidential records, ensuring activities, outputs and outcomes are recorded for reporting purposes.
* To report any safeguarding/incidents/accidents to the line manager.
This is an opportunity for an outgoing individual, and we would like to hear from candidates who are highly motivated, sociable, and well-organised, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the work of the charity and would enjoy making a real difference to isolated and lonely older people.
To succeed in the role of Befriending Reconnector, your key skills will include:
* Understanding the needs of older people in the community.
* Knowledge of befriending services – either in a paid or unpaid capacity.
* Experience working within community development, social work, health, or related fields.
* Knowledge of policies and good practices in relation to local community development.
* Experience working in partnership with other local and statutory organisations.
* Experience in making presentations and speaking at events, meetings, and workshops.
* Excellent organisational and time management skills
* Excellent communication skills, being able to speak to older people from a wide variety of backgrounds, in one-to-one and group settings, and put them at ease.
* Approachable, patient, empathetic, friendly, and able to get on with others and be a strong team player.
* Capable of hands-on problem solving and ability to generate ideas and solutions.
About the Organisation
The employer is an independent local charity, working to support the older people of the City of Birmingham and the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell. They have been working in the local community to help older people for 30 years in various forms.
The organisation is committed to promoting equality of opportunity and diversity within our organisation and in relation to the recruitment and selection of staff.
You may have experience in areas such as Befriending Reconnector, Befriender, Volunteer Befriender, Telephone Befriender, Family Befriender, Elderly Befriender, Client Befriender etc.
PLEASE NOTE: This role is being advertised by Social Care People on behalf of the organisation