CARE Österreich, Verein für Entwicklungszusammenarbeit und humanitäre Hilfe, seeks an experienced
Programme Officer – Focus Asia and the Caucasus
Contract: Full Time (one year limited with the possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Vienna, 20%-30% international travel
Starting date: As soon as possible
We are one of the world’s leading development and humanitarian aid agencies, fighting poverty and injustice in over 90 countries and helping 50 million people each year to find routes out of poverty, with a specific focus on the empowerment of women and girls. We save lives in disaster and conflicts and work with communities to achieve lasting change for a better future.
Objective of the position:
In line with CARE’s mission, vision and core values, the Programme Officer develops and oversees CARE Austria´s project portfolio in Asia and the Caucasus. Current programmes of CARE Austria in these two regions have a geographic focus on Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia, and Georgia. The thematic scope ranges from economic empowerment programming to stand alone Gender equality projects.
- Overall coordination of CARE Austria projects and activities in the target regions in collaboration with CARE Country Offices
- Management of donor contracts in collaboration with CARE Austria´s project controlling and in accordance with CARE program standards and donor guidelines (mostly European Union and Austrian Development Agency)
- Capacity building and backstopping to country office staff, in particular regarding donor contract compliance
- Technical assistance or supervision of technical experts mainly in the areas of economic development, Food & Nutrition Security, Governance & Human Rights
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects, including field visits to project areas; potentially a temporary stay in the region of 1-2 months
- Identification of new funding opportunities; development of new projects
- Contributing with best practises from the target regions to knowledge management and learning within CARE Austria
- Support to CARE Austria´s and CARE International´s advocacy, media and fundraising efforts for the target regions
- University degree with specialisation in international or economic development, business administration or other disciplines relevant for development cooperation
- Strong skills and proven experience in project coordination, project cycle management and ensuring donor contract compliance in a responsible and self-organized manner; ideally experience with EU and ADA contracts, as well as with international consortia projects
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in the development context
- Technical background in the target regions and in one of the following sectors are an asset: economic development, Food & Nutrition Security, Governance & Human Rights
- Experience with financial project administration is an asset
- Experience in project proposal development; strong facilitation and ideally proposal writing skills
- Ability to work under time pressure, managing competing deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and intercultural competence
- Excellent spoken and written English and German; French is an asset
- Work and/or travel experience in a country of the global South
- Identification with the goals of CARE
- Management of a diverse project portfolio
- Working with a professional and committed team in an international context
- Offices in central Vienna
- Salary starting at EUR 41.500 gross annually depending on prior experiences and in accordance with CARE Austria’s salary scheme
- Various additional benefits
Please note: an EU citizenship or work permit valid for EU countries is a necessary prerequisite for this post. Only applications which fulfill all required qualifications will be considered.
We look forward to receiving your application and cover letter in English as well as copies of relevant certificates and recommendation letters by 25 February 2019 at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your native language is not German, please send your motivation letter in German.
Please indicate in your cover letter how you learned about this position.
CARE’s Mission: We seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live in dignity and security.