The Wildlife Trusts
Salary: £34,000 – £36,000 depending on skills and experience
Full Time – 35 hours per week
Closing date: 05 January 2024
Interviews: 11 January 2024
The Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust is a grassroots movement working for nature’s recovery and to bring people closer to nature.
‘Our vision for a wilder future is beautiful and vital!’
We need to create a wilder Hampshire and a wilder Isle of Wight. To succeed in putting nature in recovery, we need many people on nature’s side and taking action – this could be through achieving positive changes to national laws or local policies, or mobilising and empowering local people to act individually or collectively to advocate for nature. We need policy makers, businesses, farmers, landowners and individuals to help us tip the balance in favour of nature.
We are seeking a Policy & Advocacy Manager to join our cause.
This permanent role involves:
Policy & advocacy development
- Developing and delivering the advocacy strategy and compelling campaign strategies, working closely with the Director of Advocacy & Engagement and the Policy & Advocacy Officer.
- Identifying issues affecting Trust’s advocacy and emerging opportunities, and identify levers for change.
- Working across other teams to identify opportunities to develop targeted advocacy to support the Trust’s wider goals, including around nature-based solutions and defending the Trust’s estate from damaging impact
Advocacy & influence
- Coordinating the delivery of advocacy campaigns and influencing across the Trust, working closely with the communications or engagement team.
- With the Director of Advocacy & Engagement and the Policy & Advocacy Officer, developing compelling policy-led campaign actions, both digital and in-person, in order to mobilise members and supporters.
- Delivering timely responses to strategically important issues and major proposals impacting on important wildlife sites and/or the Trust’s estate, this includes drafting position statements, consultation responses, or other forms of external communications.
The full job description and recruitment pack are available on our website, but in summary, the following is required:
- Considerable experience of policy analysis and development.
- Experience of working to influence policy through direct advocacy and campaigning.
- Proven track record of engaging and influencing a range of external audiences and political stakeholders, such as MPs and councillors.
- An understanding of influencing and campaigning methods.
- An understanding of national and local political processes and routes to influencing policy.
- Some knowledge of the Wildlife Trust movement’s aims and goals.
Qualifications & Skills
- Ability to analyse complex information or data and identify policy and campaign opportunities, messages and actions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills, and good attention to detail.
- Personal Qualities
- Passion for the environment and wildlife conservation.
- Adaptability within a fast-moving field.
- Creative thinker.
Wild About Inclusion!
As an inclusive employer we recognise that our workforce needs to better reflect the communities in which we live and work. We encourage applications from all sections of the community, particularly those underrepresented within our sector, including people from black, Asian, minority Ethnic backgrounds and people with disabilities. We are committed to creating a Movement that recognises and truly values individual differences and identities.
We are happy to talk hybrid working
This role will be based at our office in Curdridge however, we are happy to consider a hybrid working routine, with a proportion of the week spent working from home. We are a local charity and so applicants should be able to routinely access our office and other locations around the county as necessary.
To apply for the role, please complete the online application form. In the ‘supporting information’ section, you’ll need to demonstrate, with detailed examples, how you meet the job requirements using the attached Recruitment Pack.