Digital Content Strategist
Location: Flexible location within Europe, candidates must have and be able to retain if hired, the legal right to work in the location of the post.
Reports to: Director Grant Program Operations
Annual salary: Competitive for the sector
About TechSoup Europe
TechSoup Europe is the European division of TechSoup, headquartered in San Francisco and led by Fundacja TechSoup, an independent Polish Foundation. In the last 30 years, TechSoup has connected over 1 million nonprofits and delivered more than US$10 billion in technology tools and philanthropic services from over 90 corporate and foundation partners all over the world. TechSoup Europe together with 24 partner organizations representing many different areas: capacity building, media literacy, civic engagement, social innovation, or digital inclusion, helps nonprofits including grass-roots, small, local organizations in 48 European countries build their capacity. We equip changemakers with transformative technology products, knowledge, and services so they may benefit from technology and focus on their mission.
This is an exciting job for a professional Digital Content Strategist (DCS) with interest in social change through media literacy and technology. We are looking for an organized, energetic and creative Digital Content Strategist to design, launch, and oversee TechSoup’s Media Literacy Resource Hub for NGOs and activists. You will be collaborating closely with TechSoup colleagues, regional NGO partners, a media literacy education expert group, face to face trainers and IT vendors, to define and create an online Resource Hub which will be part of the wider Media Literacy Program in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE). The Resource Hub will serve as the primary online presence of this wider Media Literacy Program, therefore part of the role will involve some Communications Strategy, to ensure that the Resource Hub promotes TechSoup and the Media Literacy program’s mission, offerings, and content to the wider community of practitioners (beyond CEE and NGOs, such as local citizens, NGOs, social activists, and independent journalists).
The Resource Hub aims to provide high-quality resources and knowledge, educational materials, technology tools and products, to equip civil society organizations and social activists with the media literacy skills, knowledge, and tools on topics such as effective storytelling, social campaigning, digital security, to build a more resilient civil society, strengthen democracy, and promote critical thinking in consumption of online media. The Resource Hub’s first audience will be 1000+ face to face training participants spread across CEE. This Hub will provide an online learning community, along with a repository of tools to support those participants’ face to face trainings as well as scale the Media Literacy Program to include others that were unable to attend the live trainings.
As the DCS, you will manage the entire development process, from a technical and strategic perspective, gathering insights and ideas to shape the Resource Hub, to overseeing content development, and user engagement. You will have project management experience and a keen sense of what makes for effective digital learning content. You will combine strong technical and analytical skills with creativity and flair in the digital space, and not be afraid to get knee-deep in data and technical solutions.
The position will be based out of TechSoup Europe headquarters in Warsaw, Poland, or remotely (with regular schedule for visits in Warsaw). You will be working out of a creative and dynamic office in a highly matrixed environment. Be ready to travel. Ability to work internationally – across different cultures, languages and despite the distance is an absolute must.
- Collaborate with the other members of the Media Literacy Program team, Marketing & Communication team, and external IT vendors, to plan and develop the Resource Hub Design Strategy which will define guidelines for voice, tone, style, intent, UX, branding, functionalities, translation, and layout.
- Gather and synthesize stakeholders’ inputs (trainers, regional NGO partners, Media Literacy experts, TechSoup Media Literacy team, funders, target audience, etc.) into a coherent Resource Hub Content Strategy that fits with the overall tone and strategy of TechSoup Media Literacy Program.
- Understand Resource Hub end-user needs that will feed into the Resource Hub Content Strategy, and ensure smooth planning and delivery of relevant content that meets those needs by hiring and managing appropriate content partners/vendors/experts.
- Ensure quality and brand consistency of all Resource Hub content so that the content is easy to understand and ensure that localization has been applied appropriately with writing, editing, proofreading tasks as needed.
- Work closely with TechSoup Europe’s Marketing and Communications team to plan and deliver a Resource Hub Communication Strategy to disseminate related Resource Hub and other Media Literacy content via social media, websites, newsletters, press releases and any other distribution channels.
- Work closely with TechSoup Europe’s Media Literacy Team (Community Builder) to build, grow, and engage the online Resource Hub user community by analyzing social performance (analytics), listening to community members, looking into opportunities to connect with new networks and communities, employing efforts to drive more traffic to the Resource Hub, monitoring and measuring the success of community engagement (i.e. number of power users, number of discussions, etc.) and identifying and reporting on community trends to internal teams with recommendations on potential opportunities or risks.
- Employ the latest digital marketing strategies such as optimizing content and according to SEO, use content management systems to analyze website traffic, and user engagement metrics, manage content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to increase web traffic.
- Develop and maintain a Resource Hub editorial calendar and ensure the Media Literacy expert and trainer group, and the whole Media Literacy team is kept up to date.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws (e.g. copyright and data protection), strict security measures, and adherence to all funder policies.
- Stay up-to-date with digital marketing/content developments and generate new ideas to draw audience’s attention.
- Oversee the technical development and production process of the Resource Hub by working closely with but IT vendor and internal TechSoup IT team.
- Ensure excellent program delivery through grant project management experience.
- Coordinate the entire project lifecycle, including development of scope, gathering of specifications, tracking, reporting, and implementation.
- Create and manage project work plans and budgets plans.
- Establish and execute actionable usage metrics, evaluation plans for the Resource Hub, and key performance indicators.
- Coordinate with program partners, in-country individuals and organizations to assist in implementing the Resource Hub for country activity.
- Manage all external contractors, vendors, from recruiting to hiring and evaluation related to the Resource Hub.
Education and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience managing programs and projects related to digital media, or digital marketing with a proven delivery record.
- Experience with project management with a proven delivery record.
- BA or other advanced degree from an accredited college or university.
- Independent worker that is creative, resourceful, results-oriented and self-motivated.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in social and digital communication and marketing as evidenced by examples of online social media engagement, digital email campaigns, newsletters, blog posts, webinars, online courses, podcasts, or other communications/online education.
- Experience with content design, development, and delivery.
- Strong technical skills, able to debug landing pages, explain an API to colleagues or edit graphics; good data analysis skills for reporting, segmenting, improving processes, spotting trends, and implementing learnings; proficient use of business IT systems including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, HTML and databases; must be able to communicate with IT vendors and speak their language.
- Experience with setting up and measuring business metrics and key performance indicators.
- Experience selecting and working with external vendors for IT development, content production, and design.
- Significant professional experience working internationally.
- Experience with the topic of media literacy is a plus.
- Experience working with NGO or social sector is a plus.
- Understanding of web design, development and management processes. Website management. Experience with WordPress, HTML, CMS
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social media management
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Canva, Excel, PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills: ability to gather, analyze, summarize, and present data for reporting, segmenting, improving processes, spotting trends, and implementing learnings
- Ability to be flexible, well-organized and work effectively in a team
- Must have excellent planning and organization skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attuned to multicultural environments and skilled at engaging diverse stakeholders
- Ability to work effectively and with sensitivity across barriers such as language, culture and distance
- Ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage in a dynamic and fluid environment
- Comfortable with collaboration and matrixed reporting structures
- Fluency in English, both oral and written communications; other language a plus
- Flexibility to travel in Europe and internationally as required
- Based in Warsaw, or remote work possible (with regular visits to the Warsaw office)
- Opportunities to build a successful career path.
- A chance to work with inspiring people from all around the world
- Benefits package (medical and life insurance package included)
How to apply
Please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the post with your CV/resume (no photos) in strict confidence by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please ensure that they are sent as Word or PDF documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV” Please put “Techsoup Digital Content Strategist” in the email subject line.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 30th June 2019