Head of Finance
Ground Truth Solutions (GTS) is looking for a Head of Finance to work as an integral member of the core team as we continue to refine and expand our activities. You will be responsible for all finance functions for GTS, an international non-governmental organisation (INGO) based in Vienna, Austria.
You will help us manage the project and core funding we receive from major humanitarian donors and international organisations in the best way possible, to fulfil our mission and implement our strategy. You will enable GTS to navigate the strategic and operational challenges of the humanitarian sector, whether they stem from fluctuations in funding, rigid donor requirements, rapidly changing realities in the disaster contexts we work in, or new disasters emerging. You will work closely with leadership to make sure we can scale up as needed, while remaining an exceptionally accountable, transparent and reliable partner to our donors. You will work with project teams to help them account for their grants, and to use their funds as efficiently as possible.
Start date: ASAP / by January 2021
Duration: Ongoing contract
Hours: Full time – 40 hours a week
Reports to: Director
About Ground Truth Solutions
Our mission is to ensure that people affected by crises have a say in humanitarian action, from individual aid projects to global humanitarian reform. To achieve this, we collect feedback from people at the receiving end of aid. We challenge and encourage aid agencies to use this feedback to optimise their work. We influence policymakers, governments, and aid agencies to bring change to the humanitarian, health and environmental sectors.
About our work culture
We are a committed team of professionals who take the responsibility of receiving funds to work toward aid reform seriously. We strive for excellence, constantly challenging the status quo (internally and externally), and conducting ourselves with discipline, creativity, curiosity, boldness and candour. We seek diverse viewpoints. We work hard, we communicate directly and along the way, we have fun. If this sounds like an environment you would grow and thrive in, keep reading.
The Head of Finance makes sure our organisation is as effective as it can be in changing the humanitarian system, always ensuring the integrity of our financial systems and full compliance with policies and procedures, legal and donor requirements. But don’t worry, you don’t have to do it all by yourself. You will work closely with leadership, programme teams and external donors and partners. At your disposal is a network of external service providers, currently one finance assistant, and a friendly team that is motivated to make a difference. Main responsibilities are listed below. Beyond those, you are co-responsible for further developing the finance function of GTS in line with its growth trajectory.
- Work with director/leadership team to prepare & update quarterly/annual operational budgets for GTS, and advise on decisions re staffing, fundraising, etc.
- Regularly update projections, cashflow, prospects. Prepare quarterly management accounts and advise directors/leadership
- Regularly update capacity planner to allocate human resources to projects & grants, in coordination with programme managers
- Contribute relevant information to weekly & monthly finance meetings with directors, coordination meetings with programme managers and all-team meetings
- Provide financial summary information for our board meetings and annual report
Grant and core donor management
- Work with accountable Programme Managers to prepare & review project budgets and proposals (regularly meeting to update spending plans, budgets vs. actuals)
- Ensure timely financial reporting for every grant (opening and closing reports, regular reports) in collaboration with programme managers and finance assistant
- Lead on due diligence assessments for new donors
- Provide documentation and information to donors, both on demand and proactively
- Work with external accountants who prepare monthly accounts, quarterly VAT reports, ensuring they have everything they need on time
- Manage payroll allocation per project/grant, guiding external accountants on payroll allocation and reporting
- Ensure final audit report is conducted accurately and to a high standard, and distributed to all concerned parties by the end of q1 for the year before
- Be the focal point for external auditors & accountants, ensuring they receive necessary information as a priority
- Provide regular updates about the annual audit report to directors
Team management and support
- Line manage and support the development of finance and admin staff
- Oversee finance/admin assistant’s workplan, e.g., for organising GTS travel, reimbursements, payments, office management, assets tracking, IT.
- Develop and expand the team further in line with GTS growth trajectory
- Orient new team members on all finance and compliance processes
- Communicate with our bank
- Review and occasionally update GTS policies (procurement, travel, finance, …) in line with sector standards
We are looking for a candidate with:
- Recommended a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a non-profit or NGO environment, of which three at a management level within the finance department of a national or international organization
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) in Finance, Accounting, Business Management or similar
- Accounting certification (ACCA or equivalent)
- Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling
- Excellent analytical skills – the ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information
- Experience of budgeting and budget management, especially in the international aid sector
- Proven experience with and knowledge of contractual and compliance requirements from bilateral and multilateral donors, in particular the UN, governments, private foundations
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of major accounting software packages
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to strategic decisions
- Excellent experience of computerized accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to build a small, proactive team, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and advice as necessary
- Written and verbal fluency in English. Basic level of German highly desirable
- Understanding of GTS’ vision and mission and a commitment to its objectives and virtues
What we offer
A contract (full time) under Austrian law. This includes a competitive salary package based on level of experience, 25 days of annual leave, 13 Austrian public holidays. The position will be based in Vienna – ranked the world’s most liveable city in 2019. If the location is prohibitive for you but you tick all the other boxes, please apply anyway, and explain this in your application.
How to apply
Tell us who you are, why you care and what you can do to help us achieve our vision. We are NOT interested to read a mere summary of your CV in your cover letter. Instead, tell us what exactly you learned in similar roles that prepares you for this position. Tell us how you integrated into a team elsewhere and how you contributed to another organisation’s success.
Submit your application (CV and short cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “HoF application” by 21 Nov. Note that only PDFs will be opened, to protect us from malware. GTS receives a high volume of applications. Any submissions that don’t meet the requirements above will be disregarded. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The selection process will include up to 3 interviews and a test.
Bitte senden Sie Ihre Bewerbungsunterlagen an email@example.com